10 Best Nail Strengthening Ingredients
Chipping, breaking, and flaking nails are not just annoying or esthetically unappealing. They may also be a sign of some health issues.
But luckily, weak nails are a problem that can be solved by a few simple tweaks, homemade remedies and clean beauty products.
If you know the best nail strengthening ingredients, you're already on the right track to healthy, glowing nails. If not, keep reading - we've got you covered!
Dual Base & Top Coat with Celery Seed & Camellia Oil
Symptoms of Unhealthy Nails
Nails are made of protein keratin and are closely connected to the bones, so unhealthy nails may also signal more significant health issues.
It's important to notice changes in your nails to prevent anything more serious.
The symptoms that indicate your nails are unhealthy may be:
- Slow growth
- Swelling and redness around nails
- Thinning and flaking
- Nails separating from the skin
The most effective way to address all these issues is to focus on nourishing them from the inside and outside.
What Ingredients Help Nails Grow?
Knowing what ingredients to look for in your food, supplements and skincare products is essential if you want to get the best results.
Here are a few star ingredients to keep in mind.
- Vitamin A. Research indicates that Vitamin A supports nail growth and effectively strengthens bones, tissues and teeth. It's a powerful antioxidant that prevents free radicals from damaging the body's cells. You can get Vitamin A from eggs, apples, lemons, oranges, milk, etc. Nail products like polish remover fortified with oils and vitamins or oils will strengthen the nails from the outside.
- Zinc. If you notice nail discolouration or your nails growing very slowly, you may be zinc deficient. Zinc helps cell growth and may speed up nail growth, so eat more spinach, beans, seeds, cashew nuts.
- Vitamin E. This antioxidant helps prevent free-radical damage from the environment. It also increases moisture to the nail bed and the skin around the nails, restoring and rejuvenating nails.
- Biotin. One of the critical vitamins for nail growth is biotin, also known as Vitamin H. It can be found in walnuts, milk, oats, sardines, cooked eggs, legumes, cucumbers and helps your body metabolise fats and proteins for nails. Biotin is also a common ingredient in nail supplements.
- Omega-3 fatty acids. These are crucial for your general and nail health, so eat enough fatty fish, eggs, flax seeds or supplement it with capsules.
- Aloe vera. You may know that aloe vera is excellent for skin and injuries. However, this plant, rich in vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids, oils, amino acids, enzymes, polysaccharides, and proteins, also helps strengthen the nails. It moisturises them, hydrates and encourages growth, prevents flaking and speeds up the regeneration processes. Aloe vera also protects nails from bacteria and fungal infections.
- Folic acid. While folic acid is usually associated with pregnancy, it's also very beneficial for nail growth as it supports the development of nail cells and provides the nails with moisture. Find it in eggs, fruit, leafy greens and various citrus fruits.
- Coconut oil. Coconut is not only a kitchen staple. It's also great for keeping your nails healthy. This all-natural and safe remedy moisturises, nourishes and protects nails from bacteria and fungal infections and hydrates them, so apply it in the evening or after washing your hands.
- Broccoli seed oil. Uncommon? Yes. Very effective? Absolutely. Broccoli seed oil is rich in fatty acids and adds moisture to dry and flaky nails. It also encourages their growth and helps keep nails strong and glossy.
- Celery Seed Extract. Research shows that it helps strengthen and smooth out your nails, eliminate discolouration, and make your nails chip-free for longer. It also assists in nail strengthening and thickening.
Nail Polish Remover with Kiwi Fruit, Rose Water & Aloe Vera
How Do You Strengthen Your Nails Naturally?
Besides using nail products enriched with potent ingredients or maintaining a healthy whole-food diet, a few tricks can help you strengthen your nails.
Don't soak them
Too much water can weaken your nails, making them flaky and brittle. Wear gloves when washing dishes, cleaning the house and avoiding hand baths.
Drink more water
This is not news - water is life, and to keep your skin and nails healthy and strong, you need to hydrate. Drink 6-8 glasses daily.
Protect your nails
Always wear gloves when using chemicals (even basic detergents), don't overdo it with the hand sanitiser and avoid toxic nail products.
Many traditional nail polish and removers contain harsh ingredients like acetone that damage your nails. Avoid them and choose natural and clean products!
Also, stop opening things with your nails! Nails are not tools, and doing so can weaken and break them.
Keep them short
If your nails are weak and brittle, keep them short to avoid getting caught on things and chipped or split.
When applying lotion or hand cream, make sure you get it on your nails too. Leave the tube by the sink so you can moisturise every time you wash your hands.
Say goodbye to acrylic nails
Frequent acrylic manicures can cause the nails to peel, leaving them weak and brittle. Make sure you say goodbye to acrylics forever or take long breaks between manicures.
Take biotin or another supplement
Talk to your doctor about potential supplements for your nails. They'll likely tell you to take biotin. This vitamin is not stored in the body and needs to be consumed daily, hence the need to supplement.
What is the Best Product for Strengthening Nails?
Now let's talk about the best product for strengthening nails. When choosing the right nail polish, remover and oil, you want to look for clean and non-toxic formulas. Plant-based nail care is perfect for keeping the nails healthy and strong!
Our acetone and acetate-free odourless waterbased Nail Polish Remover with Kiwi Fruit, Rose Water & Aloe Vera boosts your nail health while effectively removing nail polish.
Unlike many traditional polish removers that can leave your nails dry and flaky, this remover enriched with Calcium, Pro-Vitamin B5 and Vitamin E softens the skin and strengthens the nails while removing all types of nail polish colour.
Our Breathable Super Food Infused Nail Polish is the perfect clean alternative. Enriched with organic superfood ingredients, this non-toxic nail polish helps to stimulate nail growth with a long-lasting smooth nail finish. 82% plant-based formula.
Breathable Super Food Infused Nail Polish Collection
It contains ingredients such as potatoes, corn and is the clean beauty choice for healthy, beautiful nails. It's also enriched with Broccoli Seed Extract rich in Vitamins A, B, K, E that contains up to 100 times the antioxidant compounds of a Broccoli head!