5 Australian skincare native ingredients to supercharge your skincare routine
We are a proud Australian brand but it was not just national pride which led me to the fantastic benefits of Australian native ingredients to supercharge our skincare range.
In fact, our research and formulation trials demonstrated that these exceptional botanicals were the perfect choices to complement our use of advances in ‘anti-ageing’ cosmetic science to create the best natural skincare.
I was so taken by the possibilities that we wanted to include as many natural local ingredients as possible and so devised SCOUT’s unique Multi-fruit Renewal System containing three powerhouse fruits to base our skincare range. We started here because rather than using a generic base which would have been infinitely easier to do and is traditionally used by most brands, I wanted this SCOUT multi-generational and unisex skincare range to be special, to deliver results, and to be the first Certified Organic brand to utilise a system like this.
You will notice too, that the first ingredient in our products is Aloe Vera and not water (which is also normally used when creating a skincare product.) Aloe Vera was, for us the only choice as it brings to the blend its own skin-quenching characteristics and benefits.
What are Australian Native Extracts?
Australian extracts come from native plants grown locally.
But did you know modern distillation processes have enabled us to harness the benefits and potency of the ingredients whose priorities are ideal for topical skincare. Significant scientific resources have shown them to be a source of natural compounds that have powerful regenerative and anti-ageing effect on the skin.
For example, Kakadu Plum and others are refined via a method called Biomimicry which ensures the integrity of the active compounds which fight free radical damage in the product. By contrast, traditional methods such as, percolation cause the plant to be stressed and these compounds to deteriorate.
Some of the most popular Aussie ingredients used in skin care are Kakadu Plum, Davidson Plum, Lilli Pilli, Lemon Myrtle, Quandong and Kangaroo Apple because they are high in nutrients.
What makes them ideal for skincare?
Native Australian ingredients are great skincare ingredients because of their stability, effectiveness and versatility. They have a variety of nutritional, therapeutic and beauty benefits.
The natives we use contain high amounts of ‘active’ nutrients which help promote collagen production and cellular level change in the skin. Certain ingredients are beneficial for sensitive skin as well as certain skin concerns such as inflammation and acne.
Here are just a few wonderful Australian natives:
- Davidson Plum
- Botanical Name: Davidsonia Jerseyana
- Target Attribute: Powerful yet gentle antioxidant, anti-inflammatory
- Target Benefit: Reduction of fine lines and wrinkles, leaving the skin surface plump and firm. Promotes skin elasticity through enhanced collagen and elastin production
- Contained in all SCOUT Skincare products (except Six Oils of Rejuvenation)
This luscious little fruit is also packed with stem cell compounds and is traditionally found in the Rainforests of the East Coast of Australia. These compounds - Tartaric Acid, Gallic Acid, Quercetin, and Anthocyanin work together and are a powerful yet gentle antioxidant for disrupting free-radical damage. It acts as a stabiliser for Vitamin C which made it the perfect complementary extract for Kakadu Plum and Desert Lime.
Known to even and brighten skin tone, it helps reduce redness, dark circles and spots and has been linked to the promotion of collagen and elastin production to prevent premature aging.
Perfect Pair for Glowing Radiant Skin
- Kakadu Plum
- Botanical Name: Terminalia Ferdinandiana Seed
- Target Attribute: Vitamin C, elasticity, collagen, and pigmentation reducer
- Target Benefit: This Vitamin C powerhouse helps reduce skin redness and inflammation, brightens and evens skin tone, reduces wrinkles and improves skin texture whilst also improving the appearance of sun-damaged skin, strengthens skin’s barrier and inhibits hyperpigmentation
- Contained in our Vitamin C Brightening Serum with Kakadu Plum, Turmeric & Rosehip, Daily Revitalise Cleansing Crème with Lemon Myrtle, Papaya and Coconut Certified Organic, Nourish & Hydrate Moisture Defence Crème with White Tea, Pomegranate and Macadamia Certified Organic and Balance & Replenish Light Moisturiser with Calendula, Red Mandarin & Pumpkin.
Kakadu Plum grows wild across the Kimberly region and Arnhem Land in The Northern Territory. The plant can store vast amounts of vital phyto-compounds needed to survive extreme conditions of heat, drought, UV exposure, high winds and flood.
Kakadu Plum has the highest recorded source of Vitamin C in the world! Did you know it contains up to 75 times more Vitamin C than well-known citrus fruits! Research shows that the concentration of vitamin C is about 3200-5000 mg/100g (compared with 50mg/100g for oranges). Thus an extremely powerful antioxidant which promotes formation of proline, an amino acid that aids in producing collagen, reduces wrinkles, improves texture and protects skin against UV damage.
Vitamin C Skin Perfection Kit
- Lilli Pilli
- Botanical Name: Syzygium smithii
- Target Attribute: anti-ageing and astringent properties, antioxidant
- Target Benefit: Maintains skin viability, collagen and elastin support. Potent antioxidant properties - Skin brightening properties, improves skin elasticity
- Contained in Skin Perfecting Radiance Gel (Lightening & Brightening) with Licorice, Lilli Pilli, Emu Apple and Vitamin C
I love the name Lilli Pilli, a summer-flowering, winter-fruiting coastal rainforest evergreen tree, belonging to the myrtle family. Also known as Nollamara, Kurulbrang or Yonga Marra. The berries are used in bush medicine where the berries were mashed to a pulp and applied topically.
It has outstanding anti-ageing and astringent properties and as a source of amino acids, anthocyanins and phenolic compounds, it is an excellent promoter of collagen production and elastin in the skin, helping to improve skin firmness and assisting in reducing the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. It is a potent antioxidant and helps with premature ageing and balancing skin tone.
Skin Perfecting Radiance Gel with Lilli Pilli, Licorice, Emu Apple and Vitamin C
- Lemon Myrtle
- Botanical Name: Backhousia citriodora
- Target Attribute: Antioxidant, antibacterial and healing properties
- Target Benefit: Assists with acne, anti-ageing and overall skin repair
- Contained in our Daily Revitalise Cleansing Crème with Lemon Myrtle, Papaya and Coconut
Lemon Myrtle is another Australian native ingredient which has antibacterial healing properties which can assist detoxifying and improving blemished prone skin.
Lemon Myrtle Oil smells incredible and has an astringent effect, which is perfect for tightening the pores to reveal clearer skin. It also has high levels of antibacterial properties which can deeply cleanse the skin to rid the surface and pores of bacteria causing acne or irritation.
It is said to have an uplifting effect on the mood and can relieve headaches or stress.
Daily Revitalise Cleansing Crème with Lemon Myrtle, Papaya and Coconut
- Botanical Name: Santalum acuminatum
- Target Attribute: antioxidant, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties and spot pigmentation reduction
- Target Benefit: smoother, brighter & plumper skin without harsh or invasive treatments
- Contained in our Relax + Refine + Lift Eye & Lip Crème With Bakuchiol, Acmella & Quandong
Quandong is an absolute super food and a unique native Australian fruit found in the arid and semi-arid regions of all Australian mainland states. Traditionally an important source of bush tucker and so high in nutrients it was eaten as a protein substitute for meat.
Also known as Desert Peach, quandong has powerful, antioxidant, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, the leaves, bark and seeds are known traditionally for medicinal and healing ointments.
It defends against the sun, pollution and toxins entering the inner skin layers. It repairs pigmentation, stops new pigment forming and provides a strong defence against free radicals and UV damage which cause sunspots and pigmentation.
Jam packed with alpha-amino acids that lock in the natural moisture to keep skin hydrated and leave a complexion bright, dewy and glowing.
It contains twice the amount of natural vitamin C than an orange (second only to Kakadu plum in plant-based vitamin C content) and helps to stimulate collagen production to plump up the skin, reduce dark circles and soften fine lines.
Other active properties in Quandong include phenolic acids, which have antimicrobial, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory abilities and behaves like an AHA (alpha hydroxy acid) on the skin. It also contains rutin, another strong antioxidant which works in concert with vitamin C to have an anti-ageing effect. Rutin also assists to strengthen capillaries to reduce blood pooling in the delicate skin under the eye area, hence reducing dark circles and puffiness.
Relax + Refine + Lift Eye & Lip Crème With Bauchiol, Acmella & Quandong
There you have it - a little deep dive into 5 Australian skincare native ingredients to supercharge your skincare routine.