Best Types of Foundation for Mature Skin
As we age, our skin changes too and with it so should our makeup, especially foundation. What has worked in our twenties and thirties doesn't work in the later years as we require more hydration, brightening, and concealing of age spots, dark circles, and fine lines.
What we surely don't want is caking, dryness or makeup settling into wrinkles.
So if you're looking for foundation for mature skin tips and some beauty tricks for that perfect glow and smooth coverage, keep reading - we've got you covered!
Foundation for Mature Skin
Not all women know that most foundation formulas are not suited for dry, mature skin and women over 50 or over 60.
If you're in that age group, one of the best choices for a foundation for mature skin is mineral makeup that masterfully makes your complexion radiant and hides dark circles, age spots, redness and pigmentation without caking into wrinkles, clogging pores or drying the skin out.
Mineral foundation is also a clean and non-toxic choice that will not harm your health or the environment.
The zinc oxide in mineral foundation and powder has anti-inflammatory properties, and along with other ingredients is a natural sunscreen, adding that extra layer of protection.
Lastly, mineral foundation is also buildable so that you can choose lighter or heavier coverage based on your needs.
How To Find The Best Foundation for Ageing Skin
When choosing a foundation for mature skin over 40, you want a light formula but one which is hydrating as well. A light to medium coverage which will also hide imperfections.
Best Foundation for Ageing Skin
Hydrating. Look for hydrating ingredients such as Hyaluronic acid and natural components like Rose or Grapefruit which will nourish the skin and ensure your makeup foundation won’t settle in fine lines.
Organic Healthy Glow Fluid Foundation with Rose & Grapefruit
Brightening and colour correcting. Our complexion tends to appear dull as we age; many people also experience redness and inflammation. That's why you should always choose a product with brightening and colour correcting properties that will even out the skin tone and add radiance.
Liquid or creamy. Overall, liquid and cream foundations tend to have a smoother finish and don't settle into wrinkles and fine lines. A powder foundation is an excellent option for touch-ups, travelling and on the go, though, so having both products in your makeup bag is a wise choice.
Medium coverage. You want to conceal age spots and discoloration without having to apply a thick product layer. A lightweight foundation with medium coverage is your best choice. Too heavy, and it looks like a mask, too light, and it doesn't cover pigmentation adequately enough.
Our Organic Healthy Glow Fluid Foundation with Rose & Grapefruit Oil-Free Organic Liquid Foundation helps slow the signs of ageing whilst revealing a healthy-looking, more radiant complexion. It evens out the skin tone for a natural glowing base, is suitable for all skin types, counteracts redness and prevents moisture loss.
Our Mineral Powder Foundation is ideal for touch-ups and travel. It works as a concealer, foundation, finishing powder and provides a medium to full coverage finish, imparting a healthy-looking, natural radiance to the complexion.
Mineral Powder Foundation
What Mature Skin Needs
When applying foundation and makeup on mature skin, a few tips and tricks will help you enjoy the best results resulting in a radiant complexion.
- Always use sunscreen to protect your skin from UV rays and damage.
- Use a primer to prepare and even out the skin and ensure that your foundation lasts longer.
- Use concealer on such problem areas such as spots and blemishes.
- Build your foundation step by step. Soon you will learn the best technique for covering pigmentation etc., looking naturally flawless.
- Don't go overboard with loose powder, as it may settle into the pores and wrinkles. Use a brush to apply just enough for a thin layer, or just on the T zone to counteract shine.
- Use light mineral blush and natural eyeshadow to highlight your cheeks and eyes, avoiding bold colours which may appear cartoonish.
How To Apply Foundation to Mature Skin
It only takes a few minutes to apply foundation to mature skin to create a beautiful look every day.
Here are a few tips to help you master the art.
- Start by cleansing your skin with a gentle cleanser. Think of your skin as a canvas for your masterpiece.
- Apply a light nourishing moisturiser and let it settle for 5-10 mins. You don't want a heavy product as it may cause the makeup to streak.
- Use a concealer on blemishes or age spots. Our Concealer and Corrector Pencils easily counteract redness and dark circles for a rested and healthy-looking complexion. Shea Butter, Jojoba, and Vitamin E nourish and heal the skin, while the colour in the corrector pencils balances out the skin tone to reveal a revitalised appearance.
- Use your fingers or a makeup sponge to apply your liquid or cream mineral foundation. Build it up step by step with light strokes until you reach the desired coverage.
- With a light brush, apply your loose powder. Be gentle, and don't overdo it.
- To create a wholesome and glowing look, apply a little bit of cream or loose mineral blush. While you want some shimmer for that radiance, make sure your product is not too shimmery, as too much shimmer can draw attention to fine lines.
For touch-ups during the day, our Pressed Powder Foundation with Vitamin E & Jojoba will help balance excessive oil production. It is perfect for on-the-go and is designed to give a matte, sheer finish without blocking the pores. The breathable, long-lasting formula makes the powder perfect for oily or acne-prone skin types.
Crème Compact Foundation with Vitamin E, Jojoba & Shea Butter
For travelling, we love our Crème Compact Foundation with Vitamin E, Jojoba & Shea Butter which is packed with Antioxidants, Vitamin E, Minerals, and collagen-boosting Shea Butter. The Crème Compact Foundation is an excellent choice for mature skin as it leaves the complexion smooth and more radiant. The medium coverage formula helps to minimise the appearance of fine lines while feeling lightweight on the skin.